If you are considering a roofing option that adds natural appeal and enhances curb appeal, cedar shakes are an excellent choice. Known for their durability and aesthetic, cedar shingles and wood shakes offer a unique look to any home.
If you are yet familiar with it, this article will show you ‘how long a cedar shake roof last,’ what maintenance it requires, and a general guide on installing it.
How Long Does a Cedar Shake Shingle Roof Last
Cedar wood makes a stunning and practical material for roofing because this widely available product has various natural colors and numerous possible applications. Cedar shake has a charming appearance due to its varying widths and thicknesses from being cut straight from the wood.
So, how long does a cedar shake roof last? Durability is a downside to cedar roof shake. The cedar shake roof life expectancy typically ranges around 30 years, but it can extend up to 50 years with proper maintenance. The longevity of a cedar shingle roof life expectancy is influenced by factors such as weather conditions, installation quality, and ongoing maintenance.
It may reach 50 years of life if you live in an area with desirable weather conditions and invest in high-quality components.
One key benefit of cedar roofing is its natural resistance to elements that can damage cedar, such as rot and insects. However, to maximize the cedar shake roof life, controlling factors like water damage is crucial. Regular maintenance, including cleaning and treating the shakes, can significantly extend the roof’s life.
Read also: 3 Problems With Synthetic Roof Underlayment
Cedar Shake Roof Maintenance
Regardless of the cedar shake roof pros and cons, it’s still important to take care of it regularly by doing the maintenance below:
- Removing debris and plant
Finding fungus and dirt accumulating on cedar shake roofs is not rare. You may even see other plants thrive on it, which may cause heavy damage if they aren’t eliminated soon.
- Chemical Treatments
Mix 1:3 water and bleach, such as sodium percarbonate, to clean the cedar roof shake. Apply the cleaning solution using a pump sprayer and allow it to remain for 15 minutes, then rinse the mixture off your roof with water.
How to Install Cedar Shake Roof
Roof installation, in general, is never an easy task to tackle. Before you decide to set up a cedar shake roof on your house, you must know what not to do to avoid costly and damaging mistakes that may harm the whole roof.
Here are some essential things to take note of regarding the installation:
- After the shakes arrive, don’t install them right away. This material contracts in dry weather and expands in humid weather, so you have to give it some time to adapt to the different environments.
- Pick the right nail, as the wrong ones may ruin the shakes even before the installation is completed. Generally, you cannot go wrong with galvanized, stainless, or aluminum steel.
- Make sure to align the shakes properly. You should begin from the bottom area and allow an overhang of 1 ½ inches on the roof’s edge. This is meant to prevent water runoff from entering your home’s edges. Set and align them row by row.
- Utilize a cool roof system to make sure your building has adequate ventilation. To set this structure, install roof underlayment above the sheathing. After that, put wood spacers along the rafters of the attic. Then if you have made sure that the spacers have been secured, layer them with spaced sheathing. Lastly, set out the cedar roof shakes.
Read also: How Many Types of Roof Overhangs are There?
For those considering this type of roof, it’s important to understand that the roofing cost can vary. Proper installation is crucial to prevent water damage, which can shorten the roof’s lifespan. Contact us today for professional advice on installation and maintenance to ensure your cedar roof lasts as long as possible.
As mentioned before, roofing is a complicated project that’s recommended to be left to professionals. This also applies to cedar roof shakes.
Experienced roofers will be able to give you a better estimation of how long does a cedar shake roof last according to the particular conditions of your area, as well as give you more valuable maintenance tips to make your investment last longer or at least as long as it is expected to be.