In recent years, metal roofing has gradually increased in popularity for various reasons. It does not only look exquisite, but it also has more longevity than most roofing types, such as asphalt shingles.
Just because it’s a solid rood, it doesn’t automatically mean it doesn’t require any insulation. By insulating metal roof, its energy efficiency can be maximized.
Table of Contents
Materials for Insulating Metal Roofing
Nearly, all of the roofing structures need insulation, much less the metal roofs. To improve energy efficiency and lower noise emissions, many residential and industrial buildings insulate the roofing structures.
There are many options regarding the insulation materials that can be used to insulate metal roofs.
Below are the three most widely used materials along with the pros and cons of using them.
1. Spray Foam
For insulating under metal roofing, you can use this spray foam and mix it with water and can be applied by using high-pressure spray devices.
The polyurethane foam will spread and solidify in just few minutes when the mixture reacts with the O2, and the liquid dries up, resulting in rigid and thick foam.
- Spray foam is the ideal choice where you want to insulate some areas with unusual shapes.
- Spray foam is one of the optimal options for metal roofing and can be used without hassle.
- Either on old or brand new metal roofs, spray foam can be installed on both without damaging the roofs.
- It’s great to prevent any condensation or infestations of rodents and insects.
- Spray foam can sometimes be difficult to mount, so it would be best to leave it to the professionals.
2. Rigid Board
This material is not only great to insulate metal roofs but also for foundations and walls. It is made of polyurethane or polystyrene and usually comes in various sizes of panels or sheets.
- Some people insulating metal roofing with rigid foam because it offers high thermal resistance when the panels are tightly sealed.
- In comparison to the other materials, the rigid board is way thinner and denser. Therefore, it can be mounted with fewer gaps, which makes it great to reduce any leakage.
- The rigid board must be installed properly because UV rays can damage the material.
Fiberglass is made of glass that is used in glassware. This material is woven and mixed with other types of materials, resulting in a thick insulating sheet that is great to protect your roofing system.
- Fiberglass is one of the most affordable and also most effortless ways to protect a metal roof.
- It has high versatility, meaning it can be cut according to the needs. It can also be placed above or under the metal roof sheets.
- This material is not very safe to use by an inexperienced person because the shards of glass could be harming your hands if you aren’t careful.
Those are the most widely used materials for insulating metal roof. Each material has its own pros and cons. If you never install insulation on your own and want to avoid any incidents like damaging the roofs, it would be best to call professionals to install it for you.