When first choosing the materials for covering your roof, you may ask yourself: what is a shake roof, and what differs it from the standard shingles? Well, shake roof is a shingles-like product, which is mainly produced from wood. That said, the quality is considerably higher than the asphalt shingles, and it talks much about aesthetics.
Therefore, it’s not weird to know this kind of roofing will be much pricier than standard shingles.
Synthetic Shake Roof
It seems that humans constantly evolve to resolve the problems occurring. Given that natural shake-proof is prone to rot and flame, there is a synthetic shake roof. What’s unique about this roof cover option?
What is a shake roof? Also known as composite slates, synthetic shakes roof is a kind of roofing made by recycling natural materials (mainly spruce, treated pine, or cedar) and is designed to look exactly like the original one.
Does it mean the synthetic wooden shake roof has less quality compared to the natural one? No, it doesn’t! It is said that the synthetic shake roof has better quality in terms of durability. Here are some of the reasons why:
- First, synthetic shake roofing will not show signs of tear and wear—pretty much the contrary of the ‘original’ product.
- The synthetic shake roof typically comes with a material warranty—atypical from those the original material.
- You may also ask this, ‘how long does a cedar shake roof last?’. It is glad to know that the synthetic cedar shake roof and other kinds of synthetic shake roof tend to last for longer years. If you invest in high-quality shake roofing, you can expect a long-lasting shake roof lifespan up to 40-50 years.
Although the price is similar to the cost of the original wooden roof, with such benefits to obtain, people are switching to a shake roof and think of it as a better investment.
Shake Roof Maintenance
To keep your shake roof in its prime quality, there are several things to do. The list will be shown as follows:
- Cut off overhanging branches, if any. This will ensure your shake roof gets dry faster—if there is a downpour. Having overhanging branches touching the shake roof can be detrimental to the quality of your roof.
- Apply protective treatments. Every two to three years, it is highly recommended to apply the protective treatments onto the roof.
- Eliminate debris regularly. Removing trash is another way to keep your shake roofing be in its prime state. What kind of debris do you need to clean off? It can be anything from pine needles, sticks, or leaves. Garbage may retain moisture, leading to bad things to your shake roof—like moss or mold, for example.
- Power washing. This should be done at least once every few years. Hire a professional washer and let them remove the lichens, debris, moss, and weaker wood as much as possible. Such washing will help you retain the roof’s appearance and help to keep the quality of your roof excellent.
- Thorough cleaning and inspection. With regular review, you will know what needs to be done to your shake roof.
Aside from the things to do to maintain your shake roof, it would help if you considered doing pest control to keep the quality of the shake roof. Hopefully, this explanation about what is a shake roof and how to maintain your shake roof is helpful for you.